When you chew gum, you may unintentionally swallow it. Although it is believed that chewing gum is usually eliminated through the digestive system when swallowed, dangerous accidents often occur.
On the 27th (local time), according to foreign media such as the British Mirror and the New York Post, Group A (4), who came to an emergency room in Ohio, USA메이저놀이터, underwent emergency surgery after swallowing 40 pieces of gum at once.
Dr. Chizite Iheonunekwu performed the emergency surgery on Mr. A, who came in with cramps and diarrhea.
He immediately ordered a CT scan, which revealed a startling discovery. A huge chunk of chewing gum was blocking his stomach. It was taking up about 25% of the space.
It was far more than could be expelled through the digestive system, so Dr. Chijite decided to remove it through the throat.
Dr. Chijite inserted a hollow metal tube into the throat and used forceps to break up the gum and pull it out. Thanks to the quick surgery, Mr. A was able to avoid any long-term effects other than a mild sore throat.
Photo credit: sciencedirect
Chewing gum is made up of flavors, sweeteners, flavors, preservatives, and a rubber base. The rest of the ingredients are easily dissolved during digestion. The problem is the rubber base, which is made up of polymers, high molecular weight compounds such as artificially synthesized vinyl acetate. This substance is not broken down by stomach acid, and fortunately, it doesn’t build up or get stuck in the organs, but is mostly eliminated through the digestive system. It usually leaves the body in a day.
In the intestines of children, especially those with weak digestive systems, chewing gum can form lumps with other foods. The base of chewing gum is indigestible, so when it forms lumps with other foods, it can stay in the intestines and cause abdominal pain.
Experts advise avoiding chewing gum as much as possible. “In very rare cases, swallowing large amounts of gum can cause constipation or intestinal blockage,” says gastroenterologist Dr. Elizabeth Rajan, “especially in children, who should avoid swallowing gum frequently.”